Tomatoes are planted in hot and temperate regions, and the word “tomato” comes from the Aztec language in central Mexico. And vitamin C, copper, phosphorous, potassium, magnesium, and calcium, and tomatoes are also characterized by their delicious taste, as they are used in the preparation of many diverse foods, as well as in the cosmetic fields.
Tomatoes belong to vegetables and are known by many names such as tomatoes and oats, and their origins go back to South America, specifically Peru, and after that it was spread to reach the Levant, so that no house is without its presence.
Tomatoes contain a high percentage of vitamin C and mineral salts, as well as have many health benefits for the human body, and despite these many benefits of tomatoes, they have many disadvantages.
The nutritional value of tomatoes
Tomatoes contain a good percentage of vitamins and minerals, in addition to carbohydrates, proteins, mineral salts, fatty substances, natural colors, and cellulose, and the percentage of these compounds decreases when tomatoes are ripe, and the following table shows the nutritional composition of each 100 grams of fresh tomatoes:
- Water 94.52 grams.
- Energy 18 calories.
- 0.88 g protein. Total fat 0.2 g.
- Carbs 3.89 grams.
- Fiber 1.2 g.
- Calcium 10 milligrams.
- Iron 0.27 milligrams.
- Magnesium 11 milligrams.
- Phosphorous 24 milligrams.
- Potassium 237 milligrams.
- Sodium 5 milligrams.
- Zinc 0.17 milligrams.
- Vitamin C 13.7 milligrams.
- Vitamin B1 0.037 milligrams.
- Vitamin B2 0.019 milligrams.
- Vitamin B3 0.594 milligrams.
- Vitamin B6 0.080 milligrams.
- Folic acid 15 mcg.
- Vitamin B12 0 mcg.
- Vitamin A 833 international units.
- Vitamin K 7.9 micrograms.
- Vitamin E 0.54 milligrams.
tomato nutrition data
- Tomatoes protect the skin from the appearance of wrinkles and signs of aging, because
- it maintains the skin’s moisture, softness and luster.
- Tomatoes play a major role in reducing the chances of miscarriage in pregnant women,
- according to some recent scientific research.
- Tomatoes protect against osteoporosis, because they contain calcium, phosphorous and
- vitamin C in high proportions, so they strengthen the bones and renew their cells.
- It contributes to reducing the incidence of constipation and treating it, because it
- contains a high percentage of water and fiber in it, so it acts as a natural laxative for the stomach.
- Tomatoes protect eyesight and maintain eye health, due to the presence of vitamin A, which enhances vision and also prevents night blindness.
- Strengthens hair and maintains its luster, moisture and luster.
- Tomatoes kill most germs that can cause many diseases.
- Effectively activates the movement of the kidneys.
- It acts as a cleanser for the stomach and intestines, as well as preventing indigestion and difficulty excreting.
- Tomatoes reduce the incidence of atherosclerosis, because they contain substances and compounds such as isquiloside, which prevents the accumulation of fat and high cholesterol in the arteries, so it protects against heart disease, because it fights free radicals and lowers the level of bad cholesterol.
- Tomatoes protect against many types of cancerous tumors, the most important of which are prostate, lung and digestive system cancers, because they contain a high percentage of antioxidants, the most important of which is lycopene, which is concentrated in the tomato peel, which is responsible for the red color of tomatoes.
- Tomatoes regulate blood sugar level because they contain a high percentage of dietary fiber, which helps slow down the absorption of sugar into the blood.
benefits of eating raw tomatoes in the morning
- Tomatoes help in losing weight because they contain a large amount of water, fiber and few calories.
- Protect the skin from ultraviolet rays and prevent the appearance of wrinkles in it.
- Increasing blood strength and treating anemia due to the large amounts of iron it contains.
- Protecting bones from osteoporosis because they contain vitamin K and lycopene.
- It treats cases of congestion associated with respiratory diseases and treats cases of bronchial congestion.
- It is also possible to benefit from tomatoes as a topical treatment for arthritis, so that it is mixed with oil and heated well until it evaporates, and then placed on the areas where there are infections.
- It works to help the digestive system digest food better, and also protect it from constipation, and increase the absorption of nutrients in a better way because of the fiber in it in abundance.
- Tomatoes contain a good percentage of water, as well as they contain vitamin C, vitamin carotene, and vitamin A, and also contain a high percentage of potassium, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous, and also contain a lot of dietary fiber, and a person can get all its benefits when Eating it on an empty stomach, and among those multiple benefits: protecting the body from various cancers such as prostate cancer, lung cancer, colon and rectal cancer because of its richness in antioxidants and lycopene.
- Tomatoes protect the kidneys from diseases and also help them in the process of filtering blood due to the presence of various nutrients in them.
disadvantages of eating raw tomatoes
Although eating tomatoes is healthy and beneficial for some people, such as pregnant women, excessive intake of tomatoes may be considered dangerous, because the appropriate quantities of them help support the health of the mother, and provide balanced nutrition for her, and at the same time eating a lot of them may lead to:
- Diarrhea if tomatoes are green before they are ripe. A person can also suffer from drooping eyelids due to eating tomatoes before they are ripe, so it is necessary to avoid eating tomatoes before they are ripe.
- You should avoid cooking tomatoes with copper pots, as they will react with them and cause poisoning.
- Sometimes it may cause stomach acid.
- Lead to digestive problems, such as colic and gas.
- Eating large quantities of tomatoes may cause pigmentation for the mother and the baby.
- Or for people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, it is advised not to eat tomatoes, as it significantly irritates the colon.
- Tomatoes increase prostate enlargement.
- Eating a lot of tomatoes is one of the factors that may cause heartburn and excess acidity, because it contains acids.
Recipes from tomatoes for the face
- Put half a cup of tomato juice, and a quarter cup of mashed avocado in a bowl and mix them well, then put the mixture on the face and leave it for thirty minutes, then wash the face well with water, and use this mixture to remove toxins and dirt from the skin.
- We put half a cup of tomato juice, in addition to half a cup of lemon juice in a bowl, then mix them well, then put the mixture on the face and leave it for thirty minutes, and wash the face well with water after that, and this mixture is characterized by working to close the open pores in the face.
- We cut the tomatoes in the form of circular slices, then we rub the places of acne well for ten minutes, then we wash the face well with water, and this mixture is used to reduce acne.
- We put half a cup of tomato juice, in addition to a quarter cup of milk in a bowl and mix well, then put the mixture on the face and leave it for twenty minutes, then wash the face with water, and this mixture is used to remove burns from the face.
- We put a quarter cup of tomato juice, in addition to three tablespoons of honey, and add a tablespoon of white flour in a bowl and mix them well, then put this mixture on the face and leave it for twenty minutes, then we wash the face with water well, and use this mixture to maintain the vitality of the skin.
- We put half a cup of tomato juice with two tablespoons of natural honey in a bowl and mix them well, then put the mixture on the face and leave it for twenty minutes, then wash the face well with water, preferably using it. The mixture twice a week for better results, this mixture is used to work on removing dark spots from the skin.