What is wheat germ?
- Wheat germ is a small part that represents about 3% of the wheat grain, and it is concentrated in the center of the wheat grain and has multiple nutritional benefits.
- Wheat germ has an important role in human nutrition, as it contains good proportions of protein, fats, and carbohydrates, especially sucrose, as well as dietary fiber and mineral salts in high proportions, such as potassium, magnesium, zinc, phosphorous, iron, calcium, manganese and copper, as well as vitamins such as vitamin B, vitamin E, A, k, also contains flavonoids and sterols.
- Wheat germ is characterized by unsaturated fatty acids such as oleic acid, linoleic acid, and alpha-linolenic acid, which is the predominant acid in a large proportion.
- Wheat germ is a good source of proteins because it contains the necessary amino acids, especially leucine and lysine.
- Therefore, eating wheat germ is beneficial from a nutritional point of view and in terms of preventing diseases, especially immunodeficiency diseases, so it is recommended to add it to children’s food after consulting a specialist.
- Wheat germ also has protective effects against cancer and digestive diseases.
What is wheat germ oil?
- Wheat germ oil is a natural, unrefined oil, and it is extracted from wheat grains by cold light pressing on the wheat grains.
- Wheat germ oil has a dark orange color, a sharp smell, and a sticky texture.
- It should be kept in a low-temperature place to preserve the quality of the oil for a longer period because it is quick to deteriorate if exposed to sunlight or if it is placed in a place with a high temperature.
- Wheat germ oil is one of the richest oils. It contains a lot of vitamins, especially vitamins A, B, and E, and essential fatty acids such as linoleic and oleic. It also contains a lot of minerals such as potassium, calcium, zinc, manganese, magnesium, iron, and copper.
What are the benefits of wheat germ oil for the body?
First: the benefits of wheat germ in stimulating the immune system by
Presence of amino acids:
- Wheat germ helps to improve the efficiency of the immune system as it contains vitamin E, vitamin A, carotene, and flavonoids, which are substances that have an essential role in the immune system because they support DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis.
- It has also been proven that germinated wheat germ powder increases the concentration of biologically active substances that support the immune system, which is (Benzo-quinone. Therefore, germinated wheat germ powder is used in some countries as a nutritional supplement that supports the activity of the immune system.
- Wheat germ also inhibits the production of IL-10, which supports the efficiency of the immune system and reduces the incidence of infections.
- Also, wheat germ protein plays an important role in increasing the efficiency of the immune system and increases wound healing, as it works (glutamine), which is released from muscle tissue after injury, after surgery, or after injury.
- As well as arginine derived from citrulline, arginine is necessary to increase the efficiency of the immune system for wound healing.
What is the role of vitamins in the efficiency of the immune system?
Vitamin A plays an important role in strengthening the efficiency of the immune system and has an important role in the formation of bones. It also reduces the formation of tumors, helps speed wound healing, and delays the effects of aging.
Vitamin E also activates the efficiency of the immune system by decreasing the synthesis of Prostaglandin-E2, increasing antibodies and T-cells, and decreasing the production of IL-6. Ascorbic acid has a necessary role in the formation of collagen, increases the efficiency of the immune system, and acts as a powerful antioxidant, It helps heal wounds.
The role of fatty acids in increasing the efficiency of the immune system
The effect of n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids activates the efficiency of the immune system by preventing cell inflammation.
Second: The wheat germ provides the body with dietary fiber, as it helps improve digestion, regulates bowel movement, and treats chronic constipation because it facilitates the process of excretion.
Third: Wheat germ oil reduces the risk of heart disease and atherosclerosis because it reduces cholesterol levels.
And also because it contains antioxidants.
Fourth: It reduces the incidence of cancerous diseases
This is because wheat germ oil is rich in antioxidants.
Fifth: Wheat germ oil is beneficial for the skin
Because it is a catalyst for building collagen, which helps reduce and delay the appearance of wrinkles and early signs of aging and protects the skin from dehydration because it contains a lot of vitamins such as vitamin B that stimulates collagen, and it also calms the skin affected by dehydration, eczema or psoriasis.
Sixth: Wheat germ oil is very beneficial for hair
It helps to eliminate hair breakage and treat dry damaged hair, it can also eliminate dandruff and renew dead cells, it also increases hair growth and increases its softness, density, and luster, because it contains vitamin B that helps hair growth and tissue formation, and proteins The wheat germ oil strengthens hair follicles and prevents dryness and split ends.
Wheat germ oil eliminates fungi and bacterial infections that affect the scalp.
Seventh: Wheat germ oil is used to treat skin cracks in the heels and elbows
Because it is rich in proteins and lecithin that treats dry and cracked skin, and some other oils can be added to wheat germ oil, such as olive oil, which increases blood circulation to the skin.
How is wheat germ oil used?
It is preferable to use it with vegetables or salads, because wheat germ oil is very affected by high temperatures, so it is not preferred to use it in cooking or frying so as not to lose many of its benefits and nutritional value.